Day 5 : The Local Food Assesment

Today is day 5 and I feel better. My mind isn’t as foggy and I have at least some energy. I am up early today baking a fish that Erica and I caught yesterday. I don’t have any clue what I will eat today but my best guess is fish now and stew later. The stew is 4 days old now but seems to taste a little different each time I eat it. Not bad either just spicier or more flavorful.
I am sipping on a small ration of fresh squeezed orange juice and am worshiping God for such sweet nectar. I’ve actually vacillated between gratefulness and ungratefulness throughout the last few days. I am rightfully grateful one minute and complaining about blandness or monotony the next. I am spoiled. Salts, oils, spices and the like have trained my tongue to pursue excitement. A baked potato alone has become offensive to me but God has provided potatoes for my sustenance. I recognize that my gluttony is so much deeper than overeating.
As I finish lunches my mind immediately moves to dinner. Where will it come from? If I want is I need to start working toward that end. It’s a recognizable predicament. When I stayed on the streets for a few days I remember walking all morning to get lunch and then all afternoon to eat dinner. If you wanna eat, you gotta work for it. I’m reminded of Paul’s words to the Thessalonians, ‘If a man doesn’t work, he doesn’t eat.’
It is us who are wealthy that don’t work for food. We live in abundance. We might go without because we turn our noses up at something or because we are ‘watching our weight’ and the hungry are baffled. When is the last time you were grateful to have food? Really grateful. We never have to pray or trust God for our food and we have become wretched and ungrateful.

Comments